Documents and data are the backbones of business, highlighting the significance of an effective document management system (DMS). If you're considering a DMS, it's wise to assess your needs first and then match those with the DMS you're considering. However, before considering a DMS, you might have two questions, what is a document management system, and why is it essential for an organization to have a DMS?
What is a document management system?
A Document Management System is a process where electronic documents (Files, images, etc.) are kept, tracked, and captured. Usually, Document Management Systems are cloud-based. A DMS helps you keep track of and organize all the electronic documents of your organization. DMS will save you valuable time and save you from unnecessary costs.
Why is it essential for an organization to have a DMS?
Nowadays, organizations and teams rely on document management to perform business. They are producing material at an ever-increasing rate, and today's primarily digital documents are much more durable than those of the paper era. The Association for Intelligent Information Management (AIIM) predicts that the average volume of information entering enterprises will increase from X to 4.5X during the next two years. — © AIIM 2020
Due to the dispersion of information among individuals and teams, documents might become lost, obsolete, unsecured, and, in the worst-case scenario, compromised by an unauthorized party.
For instance, staff may work with missing or incomplete information, reducing their efficiency and output. Exposed papers can be a compliance risk and, subsequently, a financial burden for heavily regulated sectors. The potential for sensitive information to slip into the wrong hands is enhanced when compromised papers are present. These difficulties, if not solved, can result in disaster.
Tips for choosing the Appropriate DMS
Not all DMSs are the same. Some are more difficult to install, learn, and utilize than others. To choose the ideal one for your firm, you must comprehend the needs of your business and your employees. When selecting document management software for your business, choose a program that:
- Includes simple installation: Installation issues are the fourth most common computer issue consumers encounter. Consumers lose faith in that program when an application or system software fails to download correctly (or at all). Lack of hard drive space is the leading cause of installation problems. Additionally, the installation instructions are complicated. Ensure that your DMS does not consume excessive hard drive space and installs smoothly.
- Effortless learning process: Document protection is complicated. You do not require a DMS with a steep learning curve. The proper file management software will enable new users to comprehend the program's functionality without requiring considerable training. Your employees should feel at ease instantly with the interface. The program should also include a comprehensive collection of instruction videos for users of various skill levels.
- Effortless to use: One of the primary reasons why people do not want to deploy new software, is reluctance. Many users are reluctant to switch even if the software is simple to master. However, the greater the ease of use, the quicker users will adopt your new file management software. Find a software system for document management accessible to users of all ages and levels of expertise. Select one that is not difficult to utilize.
- Pick the Right Seller: Your DMS experience will be good or bad, depending on your chosen vendor. Do your research and choose a vendor whose products and services have been trusted for a long time. Here you might want to check out QISS software powered by QIA. You will not only get the software, but you will also get ISO guidelines with auditing, consulting, and training which you can't find anywhere else. Sounds like a good deal, right?
- Manage Workflow: An online document management system is much more than just a digital filing cabinet. The best ones also help you track how your projects are going and keep things moving smoothly. If a DMS follows the workflow, it is impossible to skip any steps, making it an even better option for users. As QISS adheres to ISO standards, it is easier for you to use a workflow-based DMS.
- Backup: No matter how big or small your business is, you can't lose your data and documents. Choose a product that automatically backs up your data on secure servers. The backup features of your document management system should be part of a larger plan for your business to recover from a disaster.
- Data Security Priorities: Many believe cloud-based document management is unreliable. A respectable cloud provider will have economies of scale that allow them to execute data protection policies beyond the financial and human capabilities. When making IT-related decisions for your company, emphasize safety. Make sure any vendor you choose has industry-leading practices and standards for security. Ensure their approaches comply with industry-specific laws. QISS by QIA offers a cloud-hosted DMS with advanced security.
The vendor you choose will determine the quality of your DMS experience. Select a seller with numerous years of product and service credibility by doing your research. QIA has been delivering enterprise DMS for over two decades and can help you work more efficiently with their full-featured, easy-to-use software QISS. It will guide you to get a better-quality management system. Whether you're just starting with document management or looking to switch to a new system, we've got you covered.