At QIA, we believe a
company does not fully utilize the benefits of an ISO 9000 system if the focus
is only on certification. However, we understand that most companies need that
due to market pressures. Therefore, we help fulfill this need, but also
encourage companies to go beyond, and get the full benefits. We have developed a
methodology for this, and consists of going stage by stage up the ladder. This
methodology is explained briefly here:
-Silver: Meet minimum requirements to achieve and maintain certification.
- This is the level
recommended for the majority of initial certifications.
- Relates to "Basic" level of Quality
- This is usually the system most companies have, and is focused almost
solely on satisfying the audits, which are normally done to the minimum
requirements of the standard.
- The operating philosophy is reactive and defensive.
-Gold: Go beyond minimum requirements, plan on really using the system to run the
- Relates to "performance" level of quality
- The operating philosophy here is proactive, the audit is almost a
non-event as far as the need to maintain certification is concerned.
- The company understands that the Standard gives a model on how to
maximize their effectiveness and efficiencies.
Decide to strive to be the best in class, try to get "wows", use the best
technologies available that make sense for the business.
- Relates to "exciting" level of quality
- The operating philosophy
here is to be the best, and use the most powerful tools available.